Monday, March 1, 2010

New story

This is just a story that I wrote for my Creative Writing course. I love writing for fun!

Here it is...

Creative Writing assignment #4: Version 1

My name shouldn’t be a concern to you, but if you’re inclined to know stuff like that then my name’s Esther. As for my age, well, let’s just say I’m legally able to drink here in the good ol’ U.S. of A where I was born in New York and raised in central New Jersey. Now, for my occupation: I’m a college student by day… and by night?

Well- I do things that you humans don’t do. It’s not anything illegal; if you thought that then shame on you. I might have to come after you for that; if you are what I think you are. Y

Yeah, you heard me right; what not who. You see, I’m not exactly “human”- I may look like one, but it’s a little more complicated than that. Okay, the truth is: I hunt evil.

You think I’m nuts, don’t you? Well- evil does exist- physically, mentally, even psychically…but most of all, paranormally. It can come at any place, any time- usually around the magic stroke of 12- and when it does- I’m there. I’m not a demon, though I’m related to a force similar to it- I’m an Angel: A hidden one, to be exact.

It all began when I was walking through the park one day on the way home. I sensed that I had dropped something from my backpack on the way; so naturally, I stopped, kneeled down and looked through my school bag.

I felt a breeze behind me. Thinking it was the wind, I ignored it. Boy was I wrong about that assumption.

“Hi,” I heard a lost voice that I haven’t talked to in two years say.

I looked up and said only one word, “Eric?”

He nodded; his baby blue eyes were now a startling form of violet.

“What happened to you? Well- other than you dying.” I asked him.

He smirked, “The Big Guy gave me Ascension.”

“Oh. So, how are you?”

I mentally rolled my eyes; annoyed at myself that I couldn’t think of anything
better to say. Note to self: never say that, again.

“I’m good-”, he said lowering his gaze at me, his voice turned serious with a mischievous little smirk, “-Look Esther. I don’t have a lot of time, but there’s something I need to give to you before you go. Besides, The Big Guy has a Halo 3 tournament at twelve with Tomas Jefferson and Patrick Swayze.”

I chuckled and then he leaned in close and kissed me. I felt renewed, somehow. Like

I had gained something else without knowing what it was. I walked home, dazed, as he vanished.

The next morning I woke up in my room and went into the bathroom- doing what I usually do- and took a shower. After I had taken the shower, I noticed that I had changed.

I mean, I still had my thick, dark hair and bushy eyebrows, but my eyes had changed as I looked really close at them. They were once a dark chocolate brown and now they’re a dark violet; just like Eric’s eyes.

“Hi there,” He said appearing cheerfully inside the mirror.

I nearly screamed- but held it in and leapt a foot in the air, realizing that I was hovering. Not to mention I had a massive headache.

“H-What did you do to me?!” I stammered at him.

“Oh, it’s nothing.”

“You call this-” I pointed to where there was a gap of air between me and the floor
of the bathroom, “-NOTHING?!” I seethed, trying to keep my voice down and glared at
the hazy mirror with his face on it.

“Look, I did you a favor. The thing is, we need you the way you are now-”

“What do you need me for? No wait, I know. So I could be part of a three ring circus.” I said sarcastically perking an eyebrow.

He was about to say something when I interrupted him again, “Who’s ‘we’?”

“Me, the Big Guy, and others like me.” He said ticking each point off with his fingers.

“Okay…So, what happened?” I said slowly.

He sighed, “Well, do you remember what happened on the sixth day of Creation?”

I wasn’t dumb. I had been to Hebrew School and knew it by heart.

“Yeah, God created Day and Night.”

He waggled a finger, “Ah, but that’s where our story begins. The authors of the Bible forgot to mention that the Big Guy created good and evil, too. You see, the evil that exists today is far worse than what fiction seems to be. -”

“What are you getting at?” I asked, quizzically.

“There are Demons and Angels both good and bad, but there’s only one person in every generation-”

“Let me guess- I’m ‘The Chosen One’, right?”

He groaned, “You’re not Buffy Summers, Esther! You’re the Angel of Justice.”

“And cue the triumphant music-” I said, ignoring him and focused on a soap bar in the bathroom- intently. It floated a few feet upwards. “Dude, I have telekinesis? Sweet!"

“Will you listen to me for once?!” he snapped. I quickly turned my head in his direction and the soap bar dropped with a soft thud into the sink.

“Now that you have these gifts, you need to be careful using them.” He continued.

“-And how do you suppose I do that?” I asked him.

“You’ll find a way.” He said giving me a wink as he vanished into thin air, leaving me in the bathroom for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment