Monday, March 29, 2010

Why do you think it's more socially acceptable for women to be homosexual than it is for men?

Question of the day: Why do you think it's more socially acceptable for women to be homosexual than it is for men?

(Disclaimer: All the pics posted here are from Google. Therefore, I do not own them.)


Well, just look at our society for the past decade or two. We have more homosexual women exposed in our culture like K.D. Lang:



Melissa Etheridge (who I think is an amazing artist, by the way. :D):





AND, of course, Ellen DeGeneres and Portia De Rossi:




Look at the guys we have that are homosexual:

Clay Aiken (who denied it long before he came out):




Lance Bass (the frosted-tipped-spiky-haired guy from *NSYNC) [Had to put the following pic up 'cause I thought it was adorable.]:




And Adam Lambert (who took Clay's route of denying it-then the pics of him leaked out on the web- and all of you know what happened next...):



Forgot to add Ricky Martin:



So, I think when it comes to why we tend to view women as more socially acceptable to being homosexuals....

Well, it's because I tend to see women on TV or in magazines,nowadays, wearing anything that constitutes as "guy-wear": ties, vests...etc...

It doesn't really matter to me about what people wear or not or how they present themselves to the public. The only thing that matters to me is who they are as a person, not who they like or love.

I even have friends who are Homosexual or Bisexual. My parents tend to think that homosexuality isn't "right".

I'll give you an example of something that happened to me while I was reading in the waiting room to go to a doctor appointment a while back.

Right besides me there was a young gentlemen who had a D and G- or whatever fancy-schmancy bag people carry these days- on his lap. He was fidgeting around and getting agitated as he was waiting for his appointment.

"Look, I've been waiting here for 20 minutes. I'm already missing a mani-pedi appointment-" he began, as my mom interjected saying:

"Well, you should of thought of that before."

"Ma-" , I said as the color drained from my face as I apologized for my mom's insensitivity.

Instead, he ignored her and left, angry about the whole thing.

I looked back at my mom, who was giving me a look.

"What?" I asked.

"Look, I don't mind you standing up for them, but they can't have kids. the bible even says." she stated.


So, my mom and I have our differences. My Brother has an even worse account:

My dad and my brother were working somewhere in the Village-doing some iron working stuff, when my brother went on a break.

Outside, he saw a beautiful lady, who winked at him. He catcalled back at her. Next thing you know, the voice that came out of that mouth wasn't exactly "lady-like" to put it in polite terms.

My brother-looking shocked- of course- ran back to my dad and said:

"Dad! Cover your a__ while you leave."

My dad looked questionably at my bother, then understood what he was saying.

I've even had an interesting experience when I was in Washington Heights.

I stepped into a wine store with my brother to get a bottle for a babysitter that passed away a while back.

So, In comes this long blond person who asked for a bottle of wine.

When he left, I whispered to my brother as my voice faltered: "Was that a guy-?"

He shrugged and asked the cashier while I looked on ashen-faced.

He said that he gets her all the time.

"That was a she?" I stammered.

He nodded as I just went through the biggest shock in my life.

So, there you have it.

Three different stories, all on the same topic.

When it comes to who's what gender, you can't really tell by outward appearances, now.

And I find that a fascinating subject to tackle on later in life.


*Additional Notes: Forgot to add Anna Paquin (who came out as bisexual just recently.)-:



Rosie O' Donnell:




Lindsey Lohan (whom I believe is bisexual, though she didn't state it...Yet.):




And Vanessa Carlton (who came out as a bisexual a while back):





-to the ever-expanding plethora of celebrities who are "coming out".


In addition there have been many- And I do mean many- comic book characters that "came out" in the 90's.

For example, there's Comet, the bisexual Superhero as seen in the 1996 Supergirl series.

(Re: This is where 90's cannon gets really confusing:The Superhero is male but the alter ego is female.)

[These are issues #14-26, if you want to check it out. First appearance of her as Andy is issue #10, As Comet it's issues #14-50, I believe.]

The first pic here is from Maidofmight.net. So, I don't own it.:




AND a cover from issue #22:




Even Supergirl had a discussion about her "possibly being a homosexual" (via Andy Martinez). The examples shown here (and above) are from Supergirl #26 (1996-2003 series) Therefore, I don't own anything posted here. Just using the pics to make a point.):












___________________________________________________________________________________


There's plenty more on this topic.

Northstar from Marvel (Who was THE FIRST major homosexual comic book character to "come out", if I might add.)

[I got the following pics from wikipedia.org. Last one's from a random pic on google.)]:






Rictor and Shatterstar from Marvel:




The Midnighter and Apollo's wedding from DC:





And most recently Batwoman/Kate Kane:




So... there you have it.


A wonderfully long post....


and as Comet says here....


"Buh-Bye":

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this post. NICE WORK. In my opinion women "can get away" with being homosexual more than men, because men are often clueless about homosexuality, and confuse friendships with relationships or vice-versa when it comes to women. On the other hand it is very visible when men are a couple. With women walking hand in hand we may call it a friendship or a relationship, we never fully know.

    ReplyDelete