Thursday, April 1, 2010

Alex Ross Assignment for Creative Writing

Did a little assignment for my Creative writing course. Had to describe a picture. Guess I went a little overboard.


Used this pic by Alex Ross as inspiration:

Here's the poem/assignment:


On The Couch

As I sit down on the leather Lay-Z-Boy chair in my high rise apartment, a thought came into my head: What is this world coming to?

Each newspaper I read brings bad news: one after the other the bylines scream “Bombing in Moscow-over 34+ dead”, “Massive Nuclear Weapons Stashed in Iran”, and countless others signal an upcoming Apocalypse in local areas like Gotham and Metropolis.

The dim lamplight to my left flickers a bit, a picture of me as a young boy and the Kent’s glare back at me, a snapshot frozen in time. It brings me back to Kansas. I remember it well. It was a place where the wheat and corn stalks were endless and the cow-tippers were everywhere I turned.

Nothing in my life ever comes easily; you should know that by now.

So, why am I telling you all of this while sprawled on my La-Z-Boy chair, dress shirt opened to expose the broad ‘S’ on my outfit-not costume?

You’re the clinical psychologist, Bruce, what do you think?

I pause as you look at my haggard face, jotting down notes along the way.

It’s been a long time since we had a discussion like this. You said earlier that even though I have all of these abilities, I’m just like everyone else; I can crack, too.

Guess, that brings everything into perspective, Bruce.

You wear a mask to hide your true self from everyone around you-or is it the other way around here?

While I only have a pair of flimsy glasses, it seems like people you trust around here end up leaving you. That’s what happened to Lois.

I loved her and now…

Now she’s gone and there’s nothing I can do about it.

Can’t reverse the Earth’s axis and set everything back; It’ll just mess up the time-
space continuum.

Can’t be depressed about it forever; there is things to be done, people to save.

When have I ever thought of doing something for myself?

Let me tell you something, Bruce. When you lived as long as I have and got only love and adoration from millions-no billions- in return for it, what would you have done in my position?

Would you just stand there and let things pass or would you do something about it?

Well, you’re not me?

Don’t you think I know that, Bruce?

We’re two different people, but together

Together we can make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment